Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) or Code of Life in Goa'uld is the nucleic acid responsible for genetic information. It encodes amino acids for polypeptides which form proteins, which, when properly sequenced, form the cellular structures of organic cells that together form the physical form and anatomical characteristics of an organic lifeform.
Several races use DNA for various purposes.
- The Goa'uld are capable of passing on their memory to their offspring through their DNA, in a process called genetic memory. (SG1: "Children of the Gods", "The Enemy Within").
- To ensure compatibility for the Goa'uld child and host, a Goa'uld queen must acquire the Code of Life, or DNA of the species intended as host. In the case of humans, the DNA is gathered through sexual activity. Goa'uld queen Hathor suggested that procuring the DNA from humans is much more pleasurable than most. (SG1: "Hathor")
- The Ancient technology requires a specific gene to be activated. (ATL: "Rising").
- The Ancients also invented a DNA resequencer, which Nirrti later used on the inhabitants of P3X-367 in the futile attempt to create a Hok'tar. (SG1: "Metamorphosis", "Prophecy")
- Even small amounts of Wraith DNA spliced into a human will allow the human to access the Wraith's telepathic network. (ATL: "The Gift")
- The controls to a Wraith Hive Ship contain a neural interface that only responds to the unique telepathic signature granted by Wraith DNA.
A sample of DNA is required for Cloning.
- DNA on Wikipedia