- "I've watched enough of your television to know what a date is, Daniel. It's a romantic event typified by dinner, movie and/or karaoke and, usually, culminating in a night of..."
- —Vala Mal Doran
Dating is a social activity on Earth in which two people bond and spend significant time together. Examples of 'date' activities include dinner, a movie, and countless other shared events. The logical conclusion to dating is marriage, friendship, or a cessation of contact. Dating is also the traditional Tau'ri precursor to intimacy. Vala Mal Doran became aware of dating from Earth culture since joining SG-1. Dating is not just limited to the Tau'ri, but can be seen in variations in the transplanted human societies of other planets.
- Dr. Rodney McKay said he has dating occasionally while in college. Those include twice to a woman named Teresa Geldar, and once to Jocelyn Rutger, where he threw up on her while watching the scene in Alien where an alien bursts out of John Hurt. (SGA: "The Game", "Doppelganger", "Trio")
- Dr. Daniel Jackson took Vala Mal Doran to have dinner in the Il Fiore Bianco restaurant, as appreciation of her not taking to her old ways. Vala claimed this was a date, though Jackson insisted that it wasn't. (SG1: "Memento Mori")
- Major Samantha Carter dated, and later became engaged to Pete Shanahan. Some of their notable dates included early morning coffee, a box of wine with a duck on it, a motel room, and an evening of dancing with elderly couples. (SG1: "Chimera") The relationship ended following the death of Sam's father and Tok'ra, Jacob Carter. (SG1: "Threads")
- Jonas Quinn asserted to Samantha Carter that in his nation, Kelowna, on the planet Langara, the request for a date is commonly passed on by a friend. (SG1: "Metamorphosis")