|Out of universe information|
- "I don't even know what they look like."
"Furling. Sounds cute and fuzzy to me."
- —Jonas Quinn and Jack O'Neill, "Paradise Lost".
The Furlings are an advanced alien race and part of the Alliance of Four Great Races.
Little is known about them, except that they were a member of the "Alliance of Four Great Races", along with the Alterans, Asgard, and Nox. However, occasional artifacts attributed to the Furlings have been identified. Furling writing has also been seen on Heliopolis along with the writings of the other great races. (SG1: "The Torment of Tantalus", "The Fifth Race")
It has also been suggested that they are a peaceful race. It was discovered that the Furlings had set up a Utopian community for themselves and any humans who wished to join them, without weapons or advanced technology. The colony was destroyed by a Goa'uld who was able to smuggle in seeds for a plant that produced a paranoia-inducing chemical, causing the inhabitants to go insane and kill each other (and the Goa'uld responsible). (SG1: "Paradise Lost")
The Furlings appeared to be the mysterious race that helped seed the Madronans on their homeworld and possibly suggests that the Touchstone was Furling technology. (RPG: "Friends and Foes: Stargate Season Two")
Colonel Jack O'Neill has concluded that the Furlings must be cute and cuddly creatures, based solely on their name. Perhaps acting on this statement, Martin Lloyd portrayed the Furlings as small furry, koala-like animals similar to the Ewoks from Star Wars in his film based on Wormhole X-Treme!. (SG1: "200")
Behind the ScenesEdit
- The writers have stated that although we have seen Furling technology and the Furling legacy, no actual Furling has ever appeared on the show.
- According to Joseph Mallozzi, the Giant Aliens who Nicholas Ballard remained behind with were not the Furlings and did not feature again as there was not a good story concept produced that would justify their return.
- A Furling skeleton was made to be used in "Paradise Lost" but was later pulled and not used when filming the episode.
References and notesEdit
- ↑ .