|Redemption, Part 2|
|Original air date|
Tony Amendola as Bra'tac
|SG-1 Season 6|
|Season 5||Season 7|
- This episode is part 2 of 2; it is preceded by "Redemption, Part 1".
In the aftermath of the failed mission to contact the Asgard, the SGC struggle to find a way to shut down the Stargate before the resulting energy build-up destroys Earth while, Teal'c, Bra'tac, and Rya'c break into Anubis' stronghold to stop the weapon. Back on Earth, Carter has a plan that could save the Earth from destruction but it could also result in the SGC closing down for good.
Previously on Stargate SG-1Edit
The X-302 hyperspace fighter is completed by Area 51 scientists. Colonel Chekov pressures Major General George S. Hammond into assigning a Russian officer to SG-1. Anubis begins to use an Ancient device to overload Earth's Stargate. Colonel Jack O'Neill and Major Samantha Carter use the X-302 to contact the Asgard but the hyperdrive fails while Anubis later arrives at the SGC via a holographic image, taunting the SGC and telling them to prepare to meet their doom much to Jack's annoyance.
A few hours later, Dr. Rodney McKay and Major Samantha Carter head up to the Embarkation Room while discussing about the situation including the Goa'uld and Anubis with McKay regarding Anubis's performance as being "theatrical" although Carter assures that pretty much all the Goa'uld are like that.
She also presents the problems with that plan, but Hammond orders her to work with McKay. The plan is finally carried out, but it doesn't work with electricity shooting from the machine and causing everyone in the Control Room to jump back in shock.
When Carter closes the Iris, she is hit and falls to the ground, unconscious which leaves McKay shocked and wondering if Carter will wake up.
On the Jaffa world, they find out where Anubis has positioned the weapon and together with Rya'c they use a Tel'tak to go there. The planet is guarded by Ha'taks, who detect the cloaked cargo ship and forcing Teal'c, Bra'tac and Rya'c to ring down to the planet, where they attack the Jaffa. During the battle Rya'c is wounded. They then hide because there are many guards and patrolling Death Gliders. The three Jaffa then find the weapon (which is of Ancient origin), and while Rya'c has to stay hidden, the two adults go to the weapon. They believe that since it is not Goaulld technology, if they damage it, it might take Anubis a long time to repair it. However, the weapon is protected by a force field.
At the SGC, Carter's wounds are treated in the infirmary and she is visited by McKay who apologizes to her and tells her about his past. He tells Carter that he is a technical genius, but she is an artist, and he is counting on one of her crazy ideas saving them all. It is also revealed that the time until the explosion has been cut in half, meaning that they've got about 25 hours before the Stargate detonates.
Back at the SGC, Carter who's recovered and Hammond meet with the two scientists who detail a possible plan that if successful would also mean that the Earth would no longer be capable of sustaining any kind of human life.
Curious, Carter leaves and joins Jonas who tells her that he's curious as to how the Stargate came in. Carter explains that it came down through a retracted hole in the ceiling and Jonas asks if it could also go back up. This gives her an idea and has Jonas remarking that he knew Carter would think of something.
In the main room, Carter tells the scientists that they should use the X-302 hyperspace fighter to bring the Stargate through hyperspace despite many scientists being in disbelief and McKay calling the idea "crazy" but Carter insists that they have a chance but it won't happen if they're all standing around. Hammond then comes forward, telling them to move and all of them start working.
Hammond later talks with Colonel Chekov, who suggests the Russans might be willing to rent the use of their stargate to SGC after the SGC stargate is destroyed. However, Hammond explains that Anubis could just do the same thing to the second stargate, destroying Earth that way, so the Russian stargate needs to remain buried for now.
On Anubis' planet, Teal'c and Bra'tac are caught by Jaffa and questioned but they keep silent. They then ask for Rya'c, which makes Teal'c angry. Rya'c later overhears what will happen with Teal'c and Bra'tac. He then goes to a place with ships and steals a Death Glider. Afterwards, he attacks the Jaffa guarding Teal'c and Bra'tac, who then free themselves.
At the base Dr. Larry Murphy tells O'Neill more about the plan and he then sees the X-302 mounted on a plane with the active Stargate strapped underneath, causing Jack to remark "Holy crap", obviously stunned.
In the SGC's Briefing Room which has been converted into a small area for the visiting scientists and McKay, Carter informs Hammond that they're airborne.
Once they've reached the proper height and getting confirmation, the X-302 separates from the plane it's attached to and rises up, heading straight up into the atmosphere.
After two engine malfunctions which include Jack firing the rocket boosters far too early, the fighter starts to sink, forcing Jack to call for help.
While O'Neill can't do anything, McKay suggests sinking the gate in the ocean in order to lessen the potential devastation of the explosion but Carter rejects the plan, stating that it won't be enough to reduce the damage. McKay snaps back that it should be enough that it's worth a shot.
O'Neill suggests using the hyperspace engine (as it doesn't matter where the unstable hyperdrive takes the gate, as long as it's far away), but they don't know what will happen if it is used inside the atmosphere, causing an enraged McKay to confront Carter and berate her while regarding her as a certifiable lunatic.
However their argument subsides when Jonas intervenes, stating that they might be able to reduce the risk a little. As McKay and Carter wonder how, Jonas then explains that the instability of the Naquadria...
"Is relative to the size of the burst you're trying to extract", Carter finishes. With that, she and McKay begin developing a plan while Hammond picks up the red phone, stating who he is before stating that he needs to speak to the President immediately.
They nevertheless plan to do it and only open a hyperspace window for about one second, long enough to transport the X-302 far enough away from the Earth that the Stargate's explosion is harmless.
They carry out the plan successfully and O'Neill also ejects in time, much to the joy of the others.
McKay leaves and says goodbye to Carter who responds by kissing McKay and telling him that she doesn't hate him anymore which has McKay temporarily confused before he leaves the Base.
On Anubis' planet, Rya'c uses his ship and attacks the weapon, and despite being hit by another glider, he destroys the weapon.
Jack arrives in Hammond's office where Hammond congratulates Jack for completing the mission before they're interrupted by a phone call that tells the two to report to the Control Room.
As Jack, Hammond and Carter assemble there, they are all contacted by Teal'c, who informs them that the weapon has just been destroyed by Rya'c and they are returning to Earth in a cargo ship.
A while later, the gate from the Russians is installed at SGC in exchange for dollars and the plans for the hyperdrive ship. They also want a Russian member as part of SG-1 with Hammond eventually deciding that the Russians can have their own SGC squad which should make them happy.
When Hammond prompts further, Jack states that he's already chosen his new team member.
A while later, SG-1 leave on a new mission and after saying their goodbyes to Hammond, all four members of SG-1 head through the Stargate, Jonas having finally been given the position left vacant by Daniel's departure.
|Appearances for Redemption, Part 2|
McKay: (referring to Anubis) But why wait? Why does the guy show up a day and a half after this all starts to do his "Prepare to meet your doom!!" thing?
Carter: I don't know, maybe he wanted to make sure it was gonna work.
McKay: Yeah, that would be embarrassing, wouldn't it? "Nothing can stop the destruction I bring upon you..." and the gate shuts down. "Oops, sorry, never mind."
McKay: We know that certain waves can travel both ways through a wormhole. Radio signals, for one.
Carter: So what, we call Anubis up and ask him to stop?
McKay: Yeah, "Hey, Anubis, this is your agent. You're playing it way over the top, can you get serious, please?"
Carter: Before I take credit, shouldn't the EM pulse generator be pointed at the Gate?
McKay: You’re very good!
McKay: She's not going to be happy when she wakes up, is she? She is going to wake up. Isn't she?
Rya'c: I do not understand. There was at least eight of them.
Rya'c: How did neither of you get hit?
Teal'c: It is always more difficult to hit a moving target.
Bra'tac: It is also helpful to be lucky.
Carter: What'cha thinkin'?
McKay: Besides the fact that these guys are morons? (she laughs) What do you think the little alien guy's doing down there?
Carter: They're working on lightening the 302 but that's why you're going alone. Believe it or not every pound counts.
O'Neill: Shouldn't have had that cake.
McKay: Well. Uh... let me know if I can help.
Carter: I will. Thanks.
(Carter kisses McKay on the cheek)
McKay: That means you don't hate me.
Carter: Maybe. Too bad for you.
Carter: I was more attracted to you when I did.
O'Neill: You sure you want to take this with you, Sir?
Hammond: We're closed for business. I was supposed to retire five years ago. We don't know how long it's going to be before we can reestablish a Stargate program, if ever.
O'Neill: Actually, I just meant it says "Property of U.S. Air Force" on it.
- From this episode onwards, Russia is given periodic cash payments and the plans to the X-302 hyperspace fighter in exchange for leasing the gate to the United States of America. On-screen, Russia has never made any use of these plans. However, in Season 9, they use their ownership of the Stargate to pressure the United States into giving them the ownership of a 304 from the Americans. They name it the Korolev after Soviet rocket engineer Sergey Korolyov.
- The clip of the X-302 cockpit module parachuting into the ocean was taken from footage of the Apollo 13 Command Module Splashdown in 1970.
- The fighters seen at Area 51 and during the X-302 launch are T-38 Talons, which use the same basic airframe as the F-5 Freedom Fighter. They are supersonic jet trainers.
- The X-303, later known as the Prometheus, is first mentioned in passing in this episode. Major General George S. Hammond comments that they were required to give the Russians the plans for the X-303 in exchange for the use of their Stargate.
- CMSgt. Walter Harriman's nametag still reads "Norman Davis" in this episode, despite his first name being established as Walter in the season 4 episode, "2010."
- Aaron Douglas (Jaffa commander) previously played Moac in the Stargate SG-1 episode "Maternal Instinct". He is best known for his role as Chief Galen Tyrol on Battlestar Galactica.
- Carter tells Jonas not to wear a helmet. Ironically for the first several missions of the team, Carter and Daniel wore helmets.
- This is also the last episode in the main reality to have Rodney McKay wearing civilian clothes. By the time McKay reappeared in the series again, most notably in the Season 10 crossover episode with Stargate Atlantis nearly five or six years later, he was seen dressed in the uniform associated with the Atlantis Expedition.
- At one point, Major Samantha Carter mentions the need to override protocols so the X-302 hyperspace fighter will not automatically avoid an "unstable wormhole." This does not make sense as the discussion is about the X-302 entering hyperspace, and all other instabilities discussed in this context were in regards to hyperspace windows. It is likely this is just a goof that was not caught during production, especially since the phrase "unstable wormhole" is often mentioned in other episodes when discussing an issue with the Stargate. Given the vocal similarities between wormhole and window, especially when both are used frequently, it is very likely that Amanda Tapping (Carter's actress) merely made a mistake.
- Nominated Gemini for "Best Visual Effects" (James Tichenor, Simon Ager, Michelle Comens, Adam de Bosch Kemper, Debora Dunphy, Shannon Gurney, Krista McLean, Matthew Talbot-Kelly, Craig Van Den Biggelaar, Bruce Woloshyn)
- French: Rédemption (2ème partie) (Redemption (Part 2))
- Italian: Redenzione (Parte 2) (Redemption (Part 2))
- Spanish: Redención (Parte 2) (Redemption (Part 2))
- Czech: Spása (2. část) (Redemption (Part 2))
- German: Wiedergutmachung, Teil 2 (Redemption, Part 2)