|Original air date|
|SG-1 Season 4|
|Season 3||Season 5|
As SG-1 prepare to go on a mission, they run into difficulty after realizing that the Stargate can't be activated. When it's discovered that the Russians have gotten their hands on a Stargate and also set up their own Stargate Program, SG-1 are dispatched to Russia to shut down the Stargate, only to discover that it might be more difficult to do so than previously expected..
SG-1 is about to go on a mission to scout a planet for a possible new homeworld for the Enkarans but the Stargate won't connect. Stargate Command realizes they can't use the gate because the Russians have recovered the Stargate that was onboard Thor's ship, the Biliskner, when it crashed on Earth from a Replicator attack. The Russian gate is "stuck" on an outgoing wormhole, preventing the American gate from being activated.
At the request of Dr. Svetlana Markov, SG-1 is sent to investigate why this is. SG-1 and Markov fly to the Russian base and enter the facility. During the search, they discover that all base personnel are dead from nerve gas. After failing to turn off the Russian Stargate, it is discovered that the radio signal from the Nuclear powered reconnaisance drone is keeping the gate open and cannot be shut down from this side.
Markov, Dr. Daniel Jackson and Major Samantha Carter go through to the Water planet to turn off the drone, while Colonel Jack O'Neill and Teal'c search the base. They manage to find Colonel Harold Maybourne in a freezer, but when they take him out, he is miraculously revived, and small, watery alien beings come out of him. The water vapor alien then enters Teal'c, and use him to go to the Stargate. O'Neill attempts to stop him, but Teal'c opens the gate, and the aliens come out of Teal'c and go through the Stargate.
Meanwhile, on the other side, it is discovered that the water that has submerged the civilization are actually aliens, the same kind that infected Maybourne. After the beings go through the Stargate to their homeworld, Markov, Jackson and Carter are sent back to Earth, having had their sub crushed and having been captured by the aliens. The Russian Stargate program is then shut down and Maybourne is arrested.
Alpha Gate; Antarctica; Biliskner; Blackbird; Black hole; Chlorine; Dial Home Device; Enkarans; Giza; Goa'uld; Kuybyshev Airbase; MALP; Mini-Sub; Moscow; Nazi; NID; Nuclear powered reconnaisance drone; Pacific Ocean; Parachute; The Pentagon; President of Russian Federation; Russia; Russian Navy; Colonel Sakolov; Siberia; Switzerland; Water-based life form; Water planet; World War II
Carter: There was a minor seismic event that matches the time in our power log exactly.
O'Neill: (looking at the map) Is that Siberia?
Carter: Yes sir. And there's only one explanation I can think of.
Jackson: The Russians have a Stargate?
Carter: How do you know about the SGC?
Markov: I have read extensive files on all of you.
O'Neill: The question was: how?
Markov: I learned to read English at the age of 6, it's not difficult.
O'Neill: Russian humor...
Co-Pilot: Sir, we have a visual on the runway. It appears to be iced over and there's no response from the control tower.
Markov: We're going to have to jump.
Jackson: Out of the plane?
Markov: I'm going with or without you, Colonel.
O'Neill: I suppose you expect my manly bravado to kick in right about now.
Markov: I've read your file.
O'Neill: No mention of bravado, eh?
(SG-1 is on board the airplane to the russian base.)
O'Neill: Stu, gear 'em up... for a jump.
Teal'c: I do not understand, O'Neill.
O'Neill: It's called a "parachute."
Carter: It slows your descent after you jump out of the plane.
Teal'c: This device seems to be poorly designed to provide such a function.
O'Neill: It opens after you jump. Don't worry about it, I've done it hundreds of times.
Markov: I assume you brought HazMat.
O'Neill: Yeah... we thought somebody should be prepared.
Markov: Is he always like this?
Carter: Actually, this is quite charming.
(The moment before jumping)
O'Neill: It's easy, just jump and pull this.
Teal'c: It does not seem wise, O'Neill.
O'Neill: I said it was easy, not wise.
Markov: If we get separated, we'll rendezvous at the base.
(Markov and Carter jump)
Teal'c: This does not seem wise!
(O'Neill pushes Teal'c off the plane)
Markov: It's gone!
O'Neill: If I ask what, and you say it's classfied, I'm gonna shoot you.
Markov: The sub is Swiss.
Jackson: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time. (she's silent). Sorry. I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.
Teal'c: Do not humans usually die when they are frozen?
- Kurt Russell, who played Colonel Jack O'Neill in the original Stargate movie, visited the Stargate Command set during filming of this episode.
- The Russians' possession of a Dial Home Device is used to gain some influence in the SGC up until it is destroyed in the Season 5 episode "48 Hours".
- According to the DVD commentaries, the actual ending of the show where O'Neill proposes that the two races had just exchanged hostages was not the intended ending, which is why the episode appears to end so abruptly.
- Most Russian text seen in this episode contains numerous spelling errors. When Dr. Svetlana Markov turns on the computer on the base, the "words" that appear on its monitor are meaningless sequences of Russian letters.
- Svetlana is female, yet her surname (Markov) is written in the masculine form. A more authentic choice would be "Markova". This mistake was corrected in the Russian dub of Stargate SG-1.
- The set used for the Russian Stargate facility is the same one used for Harlan's factory in the Season 1 episode "Tin Man" and later in the episodes "Beneath the Surface" and "Proving Ground".
- O'Neill remarks that he has never been in a submarine before, apparently playing into Svetlana's "Russian humor," since both parties know that he was aboard a Russian submarine in Season 4 episode "Small Victories". Another hypothesis is that it was a test for Svetlana to see how much she knew.
- Svetlana mentions that there are 47 personnel on the base. This is likely a reference to the frequent use of the number 47 on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
- When SG-1 is about to embark on their mission at the beginning of the episode, the conversation which they are having involves the relocation of the Enkarans. The Enkarans and their new home are later shown in "Scorched Earth".
- Daniel Jackson's interaction with the aquatic lifeforms is reminiscent of the film "The Abyss".
- This episode takes place approximately two months after the events of "Small Victories", the more than three months during which Earth was trapped in a time loop in "Window of Opportunity" notwithstanding.
- Marina Sirtis (Dr. Svetlana Markov) is best known for playing Counselor Deanna Troi in Star Trek: The Next Generation. She is the fourth Star Trek veteran to appear in the show after Armin Shimerman who appeared in "The Nox", Dwight Schultz who appeared in "The Gamekeeper", and Rene Auberjonois who appeared in "The Other Side".
- Darryl Scheelar (Co-Pilot) previously played Cop in the Stargate SG-1 episode "Holiday".
- This episode reveals what happened to the D.H.D. from Egypt. It was found by the Nazis in North Africa and confiscated by the Russians after the Second World War. However just like with the UK government not knowing about the Stargate this doesn't make much sense seeing as the British controlled Egypt throughout the Second World War, making it highly unlikely the Germans would've gained control of the D.H.D.
- In the episode "The Tomb" Daniel states that it was "discovered by the Germans in 1906 and confiscated by the Red Army from the Nazis after WWII." The Nazis did not find it they came into existence after it was already acquired by the Germans. This also explains why it was not discovered along with the Stargate in 1928.
- At the start of the episode when the Stargate fails to lock in the point of origin, it shows: instead of . The Alpha Gate () should be the one the Russians have and the SGC gate should be the Beta Gate (). Since SG-1 teleported the Alpha Gate into Thor's Ship which crash landed into the ocean allowing the Russians to retrieve it. This is a frequent error in seasons 4 and 5 as there was only one Stargate prop (with the symbol) which had a rotating ring.
- Dr. Svetlana Markov is clad in a "rain" pattern camouflage parka during the parachute jump. While several Warsaw Pact countries (such as Poland, East Germany, and Bulgaria) did issue this pattern, neither the USSR nor the Russian Federation ever did.
- Dr. Samantha Carter mentioned "Our depth is constant and pressure should be relative to depth". The Swiss submarine must have very sophisticated equipment on board as a depth gauge is a pressure gauge with a different scale. Ultrasonic or surface level sonar would be an option, but it would not look like a normal depth gauge.
- The common TV radio trope Over and out which Svetlana uses to end her radio conversation, is an example of an oxymoron quite common place in TV. 'Over' is a word used to end your statement and await a response. 'Out' is a word used to terminate all radio contact. Therefore having them both stated one after the other is contradictory and thus not actually used in radio telecomunications.
- The statement that the Stargate with the DHD attached take priority seems to contradict the what we've seen. The Beta Gate (while it was still in Antartica) had its DHD attached for millenia but the Alpha Gate still received priority for incoming wormholes for the entire time it was being used by the SGC.
- That was frozen over and as Carter discovers when she found it was inoperable and needed fixing.
In other languagesEdit
- French: Eaux troubles (Troubled Waters)
- Italian: Watergate
- Spanish: La Puerta Acuática (The Aquatic Gate)
- Czech: Vodní Brána (Watergate)
- Hungarian: Víz alatt (Underwater)
- German: Planet des Wassers (Planet Of The Water)
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Watergate (Stargate SG-1). The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with SGCommand, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|